Roosevelt School

Roosevelt School – Roosevelt School was located at 114 Gold Street.  District #86 purchased lots 16-19 in Block 1 of Cole’s Addition on July 30 1906 and a four room school was constructed in 1905-1906 and opened in 1907.  The school was named for Theodore Roosevelt by Margaret Mauschbaugh who taught for 50 years in the East Peoria school system.  On August 13 1923 lots 13-15 were added and the school was enlarged to 8 rooms in 1924.  District #86 sold part of lots 13, 14 and 15 and added lot 20, on July 27 1929.  The school was closed in 1960 because of declining enrollment and the property was sold to City of, East Peoria on January 13, 1969 for $ 30,000.

Compiled by East Peoria Historical Society