“Charting the future while preserving the past”

Fondulac

Soldier’s Field

 

The Fondulac Cemetery Association was dissolved February 24, 1921 and reincorporated September 15, 1921 under the cemetery act of 1903, Chapter 805 ILCS 320.  During this period the Cemetery Association turned over to East Peoria Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #2078 a portion of ground for the burial of war veterans.  The members of the post, with the cooperation of several public-minded citizens and truck operators, transported several thousand cubic yards of soil to fill the low portions of the plot, and several tons of rock to line the sides and bottom of the small creek running through it.  The following year a French “75” artillery piece was secured from the War Department and mounted on the plot with a flagpole. Memorial services are held every Decoration Day and Armistice Day, now Memorial Day and Veterans Day, to honor those comrades who paid the Supreme Sacrifice.  There are presently 140 veterans buried here with

many of them former members of the VFW.  Any veteran may be buried there even if they did not belong to the VFW but permission has to be requested of the post