East Peoria Timeline

Become a Member Today!

 

Legend

Bridges

Government

Schools

Churches

Floods

Railroads

Industry

Ft. Clark created – 1813

Illinois became a state – 1818.

Charles Sargeant, Theodore Sargeant, David Barnes, and William Blanchard (War of 1812 veterans) settled in what is now Fondulac Township in the early 1820’s.  The Sargeant brothers and David Barnes moved to Fulton County when their bounty land was awarded.  William Blanchard constructed what is believed to be the first American structure in Tazewell County in what is now Section 11 of Fondulac Township and remained on property in southern Woodford County until his death.  J. Davis settled on Farm Creek and moved on to Sangamon County.   The History of Peoria County, 1880 states the following:  “Josiah and Seth Fulton went across the river in 1820, selected a claim on Farm creek, at the place now owned by Thomas Cornlin (the editor believes this to be Thomas Camlin), and commenced to make a farm. They sold that claim in 1824, after which Josiah pre-empted the quarter section now owned by William Hall, near Peoria. He subsequently sold that, and in the fall of 1832 bought what is known as the “Pulsifer Eighty and in 1834 settled at his present residence in Richwoods”.  The Farm Creek claim would have been where Fondulac Cemetery is today.

Jacob Wilson, son Jacob L. Wilson, Jakey Phillips, Joshua Walker, Thomas Banks and Elisha Green arrived February, 1824 and settled in the Ten Mile Creek Area.

Thomas Camlin, (the Daniel Boone of Tazewell County), was an early settler here. He was not only a great hunter, but a genial companion and an inimitable story-teller.   He patented the E ½ NW ¼ on 16 January 1832, the E 1/2NW1/4 and W ½ NW1/4 on 19 February 1835 all in Section 34.  Among other early settlers of Fondulac, were Jesse, Absalom and Jacob Funk, Jacob Hepperly, Morgan Buckingham, Horace Crocker, Abraham Brown and Jefferson Husham

Peoria County created in 1825 – Ft. Clark renamed Peoria.

1826 – Ferry service established at the outlet of Lake Peoria

The first mill propelled by water was erected by Mr. Leek on Farm Creek, in 1827.  It had one run of stone, and the bolting was done by hand.

Tazewell County formed 1827 out of Peoria County.
Macon County split off Tazewell in 1829. 
McLean County split off Tazewell in 1830.
LaSalle County split off Tazewll in 1831. 
Final adjustment in 1841.
Woodford County formed out of McLean and Tazewell.

First saw-mill was built on Ten Mile Creek, in 1828, by Hugh Woodruff and David Baily, of Pekin.

First steamboat the “Liberty” (formerly called the “Native”) reaches this far up the Illinois River – December 1829

David Schertz moved here in 1831.  His family joined him in 1832.

Post Office Little Detroit established in area along lake north of the narrows 20 Sep 1833.  Discontinued 11 Sep 1836.

Buckeye School built in sec 2 – 1835 – Later called Ten Mile School

1835 – Village of Cleveland laid out and Cleveland Steam Ferry Landing established.

Camelin Cemetery (Fondulac Cemetery) – First known burial – 1835

Original Patents – Purchased from US Government for $ 1.25 per acre  NW1/4 Sec 33 T26N R4W – Rudolphus Rouse – 13 Mar 1835   Randolphus Rouse b. 20 Jul 1793 New York married Martha b. 15 Jan 1809 New Jersey.  Settled on Sec 33 Fondulac in 1833.  Living in Peoria by 1840.  Buried in Springdale Cemetery.                 

 W1/2 NE1/4 Sec 33 T26N R4W – Emeline Nelson – 14 Oct 1835     Emeline Nelson b. 12 Aug 1814 New York married Thomas D. Broyhill b. 17 Oct 1816 North Carolina, 19 Feb 184 in Tazewell, Illinois.  Moved to Iowa in 1850’s. Buried Union Chapel Cemetery, Madison County, Iowa                     SE1/4 Sec 33 T26N R4W – David Schertz – 9 Dec 1835                      David Schertz b. 1791 Germany married Anna b. 1806 France.  Arrived Fondulac 1831.                                                                                      SW1/4 Sec 33 T26N R4W–Susannah & Jesse Funk–0 Feb 1836        Jacob Funk b. 28 Dec 1893 Lexington, Fayette, Kentucky married Susannah Popejoy b. 20 Apr 1798 Fairfax, Fairfax, Virginia.  Son Jesse Funk b. 11 May 1817, Fayette, Ohio married Cynthia Haines b. 3 Oct 1822 Brooke, Virginia, 13 Feb 1840 at Groveland, Tazewell, Illinois.   .  Jesse moved to Stark County, Illinois and Iowa by 1880.  Buried in Forest Cemetery, Oskaloosa, Mahaska, Iowa.               

E1/2 NE1/4 Sec 33 T26N R4W – John Leadly–22 Aug 1838                   John Leadly b. 1807 England married Elizabeth b. 1800 Virginia.  Sons:  Thomas H., Allen and John.  Had not settled prior to purchase.  

Town of Cleveland was platted July 9, 1836.    

David Schertz built a grist mill (about where Camp and Washington Streets intersect) 1840

Illinois-Michigan Canal – 1848 – Peru to Lake Michigan

Post Office Little Detroit reestablished 15 May 1848

Wagon Bridge opened 27 October 1849 after Hiram Cole gained control of the Bridge Compay founded by May.

Fondulac Township created on 6 November 1849.

Central Grade School started–Ca 1850

Peoria & Oquawka Railroad charter amended to build from Peoria to Indiana state line, 22 June 1852

Harrison Grade School established – 14 September 1852

Fondulac town platted 14 June 1855 by Seth Abbott.  Located just south of what is now the intersection of Main and Camp streets.

Pleasant Hill School established 1855.

First trains operated to Chenoa 2 February 1857

Fondulac Cemetery Association formed – 17 February 1857

First Railroad Bridge across Illinois River opened12 April 1857

First Sunday School operated by Thomas Chamberlain on Cole Street – 1860

P&O RR became Logansport, Peoria & Burlington February 1861

Post Office Little Detroit named changed to Post Office East Peoria – 23 Oct 1863

Bluetown platted 1 February 1864 by Joseph Schertz.  Located south of what is now Central Junior High School.

Post Office Bluetown established 21 May 1864

Toledo, Peoria and Warsaw Railroad assumed control of eastern segment of LP&B RR March 1864.

Coleville Platted – 8 May 1866 by Almiron Cole.  Located at what is now the 100 block of East Washington Street.

Blue Town Sunday School erected (now the First United Methodist Church) – 1867

Post Office East Peoria name changed back to Post Office Little Detroit – 3 Jun 1867

Illinois-Michigan Canal deepened and flow reversed allowing riverboat traffic to operate north of Peoria.

Blue Town (sic) name changed to Hilton by State General Assembly – 25 March, 1869

Post Office Little Detroit discontinued – 4 Apr 1871

Glendale School started in “Skunk Hollow” 1877

Peoria and Pekin Union  Railroad  – 28 September 1880 – consolidated 4 railroads

Telephone service established – ca 1880

Free Methodist Church of East Peoria organized February 1882 and building erected 1883

Village of Hilton created 1 July 1884 by election.  Vote 30-12.  President Nicholas Slagle, Trustees: Peter Schertz, H. F. Capps, J. G. Vogelsand, Samuel Allen, Sr. & Edward Lange, Sr.

Oliver J. Bailey bought Voris Farm fall of 1887.

Upper Free Bridge opened 4 December 1888

Slagle’s Addition to the Village of Hilton was platted 1 Oct 1889 by Sophia and Nicholas Slagle

Village of Hilton changed to Village of East Peoria 21 Oct 1889 by village ordinance following a petition of over 50% of registered voters.

Post Office Hilton changed to Post Office East Peoria – 2 Nov 1889

Lake Erie and Western Railroad– ca 1890 – extended from Bloomington

East Peoria High School founded by Singleton A. Dennis – 1900

Village of East Peoria – 1891 – Contained all of Sec 33, E1/2 Sec 32 and the E1/2 E ½ NW1/4 Sec 32

Herschel Manufacturing Company – 1893

Order of Odd Fellows, Lodge # 668 organized – 23 Nov 1893

Flash Flood -1895

New channel for Farm Creek – 1896

IOOF Lodge – chartered 2 Feb 1893

St. Monica’s Catholic Church dedicated 9 October 1898

F. R. Carter Brick Yard (Peoria Brick and Tile) 1899

Seven major coal companies – 1900 – Lake Erie, East Peoria, Standard, Doering, Geibelhausen, Manhattan, and Royster

Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal – Reversed the flow of the Chicago River – Completed in 1900

“The Pilot” A. R. Zimmerman, first newspaper – 1901

First streetlights installed (gas) Meriden Hydro Carbon Company – 1 November 1901.

First paved street in East Peoria – 1901

Colean Manufacturing – Manufacturing plant for steam powered Equipment -1902

Tripp Grade School established – 1902

O. J. Bailey’s First Addition platted 15 Apr 1903

Electric light Ordinance 20 February, 1903 – Peoria Gas and Electric

First National Bank of East Peoria opened on the SE corner of Main and Washington – 1 June 1903

Flood – Illinois River – Spring 1904

Peoria Steel and Tool 1904

O. J. Bailey’s Second Addition platted 22 Nov 1904

Street Car system approved 19 April 1905

Roosevelt School opened 1906

Illinois Traction System – 1907 (Completed Peoria to Bloomington line

Evangelical Lutheran School started – 1907

Holt Caterpillar Company formed and took over the assets of Colean Company – 1908

St. Peter’s Lutheran church built 1910

Cole Bridge replaced – collapses 1911

Levees built – 1911-12

Franklin Street Bridge opened 6 April 1912

CILCO formed 1 May 1913.

ABC plant located to East Peoria – 1914

East Peoria Water Works established 12 March 1915

First National Bank of East Peoria moved to NE corner of Main and Washington -1918

Columbia sank – 5 July 1918

Village of East Peoria changed to City of East Peoria with commission form of government – adopted by City Resolution No. 99 on 22 April 1919 following an election 15 April 1919 with a majority vote of 388.

Tazewell Building, Loan and Homestead Association formed – 1919

Fondulac Park District created – 9 November 1920

City of East Peoria – 1920 – Contained:  All Sec. 33, E1/2 Sec 32, SE1/4 Sec 29, SW1/4 Sec. 28, S1/2 SE1/4 Sec 28, W1/2 SW1/4 Sec 27 and the W ½ W ½ Sec 34

East Peoria community High School (A Building) built 1922.

Holt and Best Merged to form Caterpillar Tractor company – 1925

High School Band established 1925.

Superior Foundry establish – 1925

Fondulac “High” Drive completed – 1925

CILCO’s Wallace Station begins operation – 1925

Flash Flood – 18 May 1927

Richland school – 1927

East Peoria Sanitary District formed 11 January 1928

VFW Post # 2078 organized – 1918

Swimming Pool constructed on Cole Street – 1929

Lock and dam construction and 9 foot channel – 1930’s

Evangelical Lutheran School closed – 1932

Cedar Street Bridge completed January 1933.(Started in 1929)

East Peoria High School instigates football – Coach John  Fritz – 1931

First National Bank in East Peoria chartered 17 February 1934.

East Peoria Women’s Club organized – 13 March 1934

Library Reading Room (now known as Fondulac District Library) due to efforts of the Woman’s Club – June 1935

Rotary Club of East Peoria created – 2 February 1937.

Jefferson Grade School annexed to East Peoria School District #86 – 1937

East Peoria Public Library formed by taxpayers of Fondulac Township – 20 July 1937

Bethany Missionary Church (little steel church) erected at 223 Leadly by R. G. LeTourneau – 1937

Washington School completed in 1940

Flood – Illinois River – 20 May 1943

Flash Flood – 15 June 1945

American Legion Post #983 organized – 1946

Flash Flood – 4 Apr 1947

St. Peter’s Lutheran Church (Present) completed 2 November 1947

McCluggage Bridge completed in December 1948 (started September 1940)

Fondulac Dam completed – 1949

East Peoria Junior Chamber of Commerce organized – July 1951

First Baptist Church erected 1953

Farmdale Dam completed – 1954

Paul L. Bolin School – 1954

Jefferson School replaced 1954

Glendale Grade School District #85 annexed to East Peoria School District  #86 – 1955

Murray Baker Bridge opened 12 December 1958

Koch Grade School District #84annexed to East Peoria District  #86 – 1958

Fondulac Golf course opened – 28 June 1963

Ten Mile Grade School annexed by East Peoria Grade School District #86 – July 1, 1963

Fondulac swimming Pool opened 1 June 1964

Central Junior High School started – 1966

St. Monica’s Catholic Church on Campanile Drive built in 1966

Illinois Central College “interim campus” opened 1967

Illinois Central College permanent campus opened September 1972

Free Methodist church of East Peoria on Springfield road completes June 1975

Amtrak – Prairie Marksman – 1979-81

McCluggage Bridge second span opened in 1983.

Home Rule defeated 4,344 to 1,110 at an election 4 Nov 1986

Bob Michel Bridge completed – 1993

Par-a-Dice Casino – Moved to East Peoria – 1993