Robein Grade School
Robein Grade School is a kindergarten through eighth grade school located on 200 Campus Avenue and serves the eastern portion of East Peoria. Robein School receives its name from the subdivision in which it resides. Linda Dahl, reference librarian at Fondulac library received this information from Clarence Muller’s son: “The area was subdivided by my father, Clarence Muller, in the late 1930’s and he asked a friend, M. L. Houser, for suggestions on a name. Houser suggested he name it after a member of Napoleon Bonaparte’s Imperial Guard, Anastase Robin who is buried in Springfield Cemetery”. Anastase Robin preempted the tract of ground in Fondulac Township that later was partially owned by Houser and also contained most of what is now Robein Subdivision. Either Muller or Houser added an e and it ended up Robein. Houser was a local authority on Abraham Lincoln and his collection of Lincoln books and papers resides in Bradley University’s library. He built a log cabin modeled after those in New Salem and it stands to day off Oakwood Road. On May 27, 1948 Clarence C. Muller sold Lot #135 of Robein Subdivion #2 in the NE1/4 Section 25 T26N R4W containing 8.18 acres to School District #85. Robein School was constructed in 1949 with four classrooms. In March of 1955 the residents of District # 85 voted to change its elected officials from a three man board of directors to a seven man board of education. In 1963 four classrooms were added and kindergarten was started. In the same year Highland Hills Estates detached from District #86 and became part of District #85. A gymnasium was constructed in 1955 followed by four more classrooms in 1965 and six more classrooms in 1971. District #85 originally contained two grade schools, Harrison School, located on Farmdale Road near Washington Road and Highway Village School located on Meadows Avenue. Harrison School was closed when Robein School was built and the area that contained Highway Village annexed to District #86.